(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 14, 2011 11:33AM

I'm using a hotel computer but will be home tomorrow.
The headlights aren't really sealed and even so we don't want road water coming around the trim rings. OEM gaskets might help, but I don't think we can use anything from the OEM buckets except the flange. The opening just isn't big enough.

That's about all I have time for, but thanks for the good wishes. The car will be there, and as complete as we can make it in the time we have. Thank you for the offers of help.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 15, 2011 11:48AM

Back home now and trying to get caught up a little but I haven't even been out to the Lab yet. Everything looks normal from here though. Bill I'm sorry to hear about Frank. Even though I didn't know him, we all hate to see one of our own pass. Your point is well taken. The cars are nothing more than a bit of glue that helps bring us together. Still, they allow us to indulge our passion which is no mean consideration.

Carl, and Dan, I hope you guys can make it. With your help we should be able to make a most presentable showing at Townsend. But anyone else sitting on the fence about coming out to help on the last weekend of this month, we still need your help too. There are many things to be done. Almost all of the components that need to be reinstalled in the car need to be cleaned up and painted or otherwise made ready first. It'd be a crime to reinstall the same ratty old heater for instance. To do the job properly the housing should come apart, be bead blasted, painted, and reassembled before being installed. The same goes for almost everything that goes back in the car. All that stuff looked OK before the new paint job, but I know you guys are going to agree (once you actually see the car) that it just wouldn't be right to simply put it back together that way. I also know that this was not our objective originally. We never set out to build a show car, and the only thing changing that at all is the very high quality of the paint. But since we do have a high quality paint job it seems clear that we should show it off to it's fullest potential if we can. I know we are limited in what we can do. Some things just won't measure up. But with enough help we can at least put in the effort in places where effort will show to good advantage. Then with everybody getting a chance to look the car over, we can decide how far we want to go down that path. Townsend is the obvious place to decide that, and I very much look forward to seeing all of you there.

By the way, our new T-shirts for this year are going to be something special. Not to steal Steve's thunder and the details are not yet finalized, but not only will the breast logo include an actual photo of the car, the same logo will be enlarged on the back, also with the actual photo. Final color selection will be decided in accordance with recommendations from the shirt maker but we discussed tan. We also talked about putting the year in the logo. Shirt sales have declined the last year or two, and last year we just broke even. However, we were able to make use of a number of the extra shirts for promotional purposes, which turned out to be a good tactic. I bought a bunch of them myself, which helped pay for any number of miscellaneous costs. We still have a few of those left if anyone wants one, I think they run to the large sizes. It's a good color and makes a very handy shirt to just grab and go. We will have the new shirts at Townsend but neither Steve nor I especially wants to be stuck with selling shirts all weekend. That might have had a little to do with the declining sales. We can sell them during the B.A.D.A.S.S. annual meeting and the tech session but other than that unless someone else wants to help out you'll probably have to ask for them.

Finally, I'm grateful for the vacation. It gave me a chance to get a little better perspective on things and to slow back down to a more reasonable pace. I think we all need that from time to time.

JB

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 15, 2011 03:04PM

Jim,

If the shipping isn't too much, I have a blast cabinet. I can blast some parts, then spray bomb 'em (don't have a real spray setup), & bring 'em with me.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 15, 2011 03:45PM

Thanks Carl, I'll see what I can send your way.
I measured the headlights and we need a pair of bowls around 7-3/4" ID (to also enclose the adjustment screws) or could possibly use 6-5/16" to only enclose the back of the headlight itself. Stainless would probably be the best.

JB

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: April 15, 2011 07:48PM

Do you want me to ship the MGB headlamp buckets and gaskets to Carl or to you?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 16, 2011 10:57AM

Better send them to me since we'll have to modify them regardless.
I hope to have a spare bay cleared out and the lift available by the time we start work so I'm going to be pretty busy with that since to do it I have to finish repairing the truck and also finish re-fabricating the steering rack mounts on my roadster, but if I get the chance I'll do some preliminary fitting and try to get out and look for bowls. I have some old stainless bowls that came from my great uncle who was a dentist and I'm pretty sure he got them from a medical supply house somewhere. They aren't the right size and I don't have two of any one size either but they have a good shape. If we knew of a suitable supply house we might find just the right thing. If any of you could find time to look for those it'd be a big help. 7-3/4" inner diameter. I have some welding to do today and bench space to clear and straighten up, but I'll try to go through some of the things to send to Carl if I have time.

JB

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: April 16, 2011 01:38PM

What about plastic? Those metal bowls from Uncle Dorsey are probably 50-60 years old, and surely hard to find anything similar, but plastic stuff should be easy to find and cheap.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 18, 2011 10:41PM

I thought about that but stainless would be more durable, about the same weight, and easier to work with I think. One more thing for me to research I guess.

How do you guys like the new t-shirt design? Any suggestions?

t-shirt 2011.jpg

JB

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: April 19, 2011 10:43AM

Love the shirts, can't wait to get mine. I'm glad that this year the meet is early so that I will have the shirts to wear to all the local shows this summer. Can we get the "Project Roadmaster" area on the small version for the front of the shirt filled with color the same as for the larger version on the back?

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: April 19, 2011 02:00PM

Have you thought about vaccum forming.
It's easy and cheap. My two favorite things.
And you can make pretty much any shape needed.
I've been using it to reskin doorpanels and dashes lately.
But have also made headlight covers, consoles, stereo bezels etc.
Works like a charm.

By the way, that Tshirt will be "Badass".
You need a small disclaimer on it like the printer has.
Something like "Due to build differences your car may not be able to keep up"

Cheers
Fred

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2011 02:10PM by DiDueColpi.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 19, 2011 02:15PM

Bill, I'll pass your question along, as well as the idea of putting the year on it.

Good idea Fred, but more time than I have to put into it right now. I do have the basic machine but it's never been tested and I'd have to make the forms, frames and such. Quicker and easier to just buy a couple bowls. They'd have to be at least 4" deep and 7-3/4" ID. Might get out tomorrow and look for them if I can. This one might be a good choice, depending on measurements: [www.amazon.com]
I'm in a time crunch on my truck now, still waiting on valve seats. I've never had a vehicle fight me so hard. It's a dam*ed good thing I allowed a greatly excessive amount of time for the repair. In the meantime, the TR7 I'm driving leaks atf so badly I'm going to have to put a fire extinguisher in the trunk just in case, and I have to drive ghetto style because the seat is too high and my head hits the top. Not exactly conducive to getting out and running around, and too wet to ride the bike. E's out of town so I can't even commandeer her jeep. But hopefully the head might be done tomorrow so maybe I can look at bowls when I go to pick that up.

JB

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: April 19, 2011 09:58PM

Quote:
How do you guys like the new t-shirt design? Any suggestions?

Looks awesome!

Be real careful how they are done. If the fabric can't breathe, the t-shirt will become a sauna.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: April 20, 2011 05:31PM

If you want a 2x or 3x large, e-mail me at sdegroat@truvista.net or pm me on this site.
I do not plan to order many of them because they cost more to make.
The order will go in the first part of May. When I return from Jim's.

steve

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: April 22, 2011 09:27PM

The headlamp buckets and new gaskets went into the mail to you today (4/22), Jim.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 22, 2011 10:02PM

Thanks Rick. I'm in Milton this weekend but will ber bsck about the time it gets there. Meantime I'll try to look for bowls.

JB

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: April 26, 2011 03:58PM

Will be leaving early AM tomorrow for Roadmaster. I have southern BBQ. Looks like it will be Jim, Dan and me. Hope we get it done.
Will probably run in the rain the entire way up.
Will be driving the 4 cyl BGT as the V6 killed a big dog and is the shop being fixed.

steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 26, 2011 11:42PM

Looking forward to it Steve, stick to the high ground for sure. Got bowls, got headlight buckets, got a need to see glass in that beastie. A few errands tomorrow and rock-n-roll. Right arm, right arm, right arm, man. Boy do I wish we had enough help to make it run.

JB

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Date: April 27, 2011 12:41PM

Sorry, guys, but I gotta work the pharmacy this weekend.

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: April 27, 2011 08:03PM

Made a last minute plea to the WV British Car Club. I don't know how much interest there is here, but it's worth a shot.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: April 28, 2011 09:11PM

Got some bowls that I think might work.

MVC-818F.JPG

We have done a little work on the car:

MVC-820F.JPG

MVC-821F.JPG

We didn't install the expander strip in the front or rear glass seal because we don't know how to do it. Someone else will have to take care of that. If someone has whatever tools it takes and knows how to do it, the V8 meet would be a good time to install them. Also the hood struts won't be installed before then so with Rick's expert guidance maybe we can install them there. I think Carl mentioned that it would be good to have some hands-on at the meet anyway so those are a couple of things we could do. I think someone might want to bring a cordless drill and drill bits. I don't have one.

JB
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.