Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 134

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 26, 2011 02:08PM

What Kelly said!

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 26, 2011 03:17PM

Jim, I concur, please take whatever reimbursement you feel is appropriate. The time and money you've spent on the project should not be a total donation for sure. We'll find more funding as we need it. It's going to be a busy summer beating the bushes for donations and sponsors but we'll get there before Max and the crew need the parts.

Gentlemen and Ladies, here's what we are working towards. In the attached Excel file you'll see a list of parts needed to finish the Roadmaster when Max gets it in August. He'll only have a few weeks in the shop for the car, so we need either the parts delivered to Steve DeGroat by mid July or the money set to him by the early part of August so that we can get the order in to Moss and other vendors for the parts needed. If you have a part to donate, then send it to Steve, Max doesn't have room to store the items until he gets the car. Some of the parts on the list have already been pledged, but we won't update the list until we actually have the part in hand or the check. We will try to refurbish a lot of items but we want the car's interior and trim to match the quality level of the body and paint, so we're shooting for very nice condition items if used.
Roadmaster list.JPG

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4514 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: May 27, 2011 05:26PM

Quote:
As a result Carl and Steve formed an Ad Hoc Executive committee to address the issue and authorized up to $300 in gasoline reimbursements over what I would have spent were I not bringing the GT. This would make that amount roughly $200.

Actually, I said paying for the additional gas expense should be the minimum reimbursement. I think we should pay him the whole $300, at minimum. Jim has hauled this project to Wisconsin, Illinois, South Dakota, Tennessee, North Carolina...the actual hauling expenses far exceeds that.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 31, 2011 04:38PM

Treasurers report: We have $751.88 in the account now.
I still have one person who gave me an IOU for $100 that has not been sent to me.

Steve

mowog1
Rick Ingram
Central Illinois
(1523 posts)

10/17/2007 09:36PM

Main British Car:
1974.5 MGB/GT 3.9l Rover

authors avatar
Posted by: mowog1
Date: May 31, 2011 10:23PM

Do you want me to send Vito Octagonalli out to collect?

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: June 01, 2011 01:00PM

I think Carl has the right idea. Nobody has put more into this project than Jim has, and broken the tow vehicle nearly every trip, at least recently.

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: June 03, 2011 01:16PM

A week has passed. I will act in accordance with my earlier stated intent and write out a check for $200. As much as I appreciate the sentiments expressed here and the appreciation shown, it is as much as I can in good conscience accept for the transportation costs. Anything some of you might feel is deserved over and above that, you can consider another donation.

So speaking of donations. Max is getting a little antsy about his role in finishing up the interior of the car because the money simply isn't there to buy the parts that must be purchased. Believe me Max, I completely sympathize with you on this, and were it not for certain unscheduled expenses that I've had, some having to do with the project, I would be the first to contribute another hundred or so to help the cause along.

Remember what we're doing here guys. In our own small way and hoping to affect others to do their part too, we are trying to rebuild the country. We want to show people that as a people we still have what it takes, we still have the things that made America great in the first place, and all of us have the ability to build great things from humble beginnings. This is the real message of the MG-Roadmaster project, so won't you help us take it to the people in their time of need? Surely you can spare a hundred bucks for a cause as worthy as this. Contact Steve DeGroat our treasurer [forum.britishv8.org]

JB

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 03, 2011 03:01PM

I've posted on the MG Experience Forum requesting parts or cash donations for the final stage of the project, hope that brings in some support. As the saying goes, my check is in the mail and we're still working on the water filler neck project. I'll buy some aluminum tubing tonight after work and try my hand at tig welding up a 90 degree elbow if I can.

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 09, 2011 08:25AM

Two weeks later and we have trimmed the list a bit thanks to Max and crew as well as some other dontations. Still a lot needed guys.
Roadmaster list #2.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 19, 2011 10:56AM

I wanted to post a bit of an update. There's been a behind-the-scenes email circulating amongst those most involved in the project since Townsend, exchanging more or less daily information. This group has included Max, Bill, myself, and several others and I just added Larry and need to add Dan M and probably Gary Walker to it but sometimes I'm a little slow. I'll try to do that today. Anyone who feels they need to be on that email please let me know and I'll include you. It has to do with the details of the work, the parts needed, and the major object is to get the right parts ordered in time for Max to finish out the interior, like what we talked about in the BADASS meeting at Townsend.

And on that note, someone, and I can't remember who it was, came up to me at Townsend and said they had a complete headliner with a fiberglass backing that they would donate. Whoever that was, could you please contact me right away? I'd like to avoid a situation where the guys either buy another headliner or find a way to make the existing one work, only to have a brand spanking new headliner show up after the rest of the interior has already been put in. Larry tells me the headliner has to go in first. I apologize for my poor memory, it's not one of my strengths I'm afraid and by no means a slight. Under the right conditions I'd forget my own mother.

At any rate, in terms of the finances, we just deposited a nice healthy donation from Merv, I took T-shirts in lieu of cash for my fuel expenses for Townsend then promptly gave two of them to Steve to give to Max's helpers so that deduction didn't happen, and I'm told we currently have somewhere around $690 floating around the mail/banking system somewhere between Lugoff and Cleveland. When that money does surface my estimates would put us somewhere around the $1500 mark, reasonably close to being enough for Max to order parts. But the timeline is starting to get kinda short. So anyone who can help out a little, we could use it.

I'm sorry I can't report on the progress of the wiring, maybe Steve can give us an update soon, We noticed an interference between the steering rack and lower control arms which cut the rack boots and my car has the same geometry (once the LCA blocks are removed) so hopefully later this week I will be able to make up some new front pieces for the LCAs and send a pair of them to Max. Bill and Gary made up a very nice thermostat neck and I will try to post a photo of that in my next message, and are now looking into a surge tank to protect the TA heads.

So the car is coming along nicely. I'll report more as I have it.

JB

rficalora
Rob Ficalora
Willis, TX
(2764 posts)

10/24/2007 02:46PM

Main British Car:
'76 MGB w/CB front, Sebring rear, early metal dash Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: rficalora
Date: June 19, 2011 01:46PM

Jim, I don't recall if I just thought about it or actually emailed Bill, but I have a rear bumper I'm donating to the cause -- it's either new or rechromed but new I think because it has black plastic peel away protective stuff still stuck on it. I peeled a little off and it looks great. I'd bought it for my car & then went with the sebring rear.

I'll also send a set of wiper arms. They're the stainless type & look pretty good.

And, lastly, I have the map pocket that came off my '76. I'm not using it so will include it when I ship the other stuff. It'll only be useful as a form assuming the interior kit comes with the material to recover it. It's not damaged, but the interior in my car showed it's age.

I probably won't get a chance to ship that stuff till next weekend -- I've been working crazy hours (like 80-90/wk for the past 3 wks) & that will continue this coming week too. Things should settle down a bit after that. Anyway, I'll scan the list again between now & then too.

Rob

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 20, 2011 08:06PM

Thanks Rob, all those things sound like stuff we can use.

Here's a photo of the thermostat neck:

bill4.jpg

This should make finding an ideal top hose pretty simple.

JB

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 21, 2011 09:15AM

The last piece for the cooling system is a surge tank to fit in the area above the passenger side footwell shelf. This space is an approximate 7-1/2" cube. Ideally the tank should be square or rectangular with nicely radiused corners. A 1/4" to 1/2" corner radius would look extremely good. For a bottom (drain) fitting it would have a 3/8" pipe thread bung, and it would have a 1/8" bung for a vent line to connect to the thermostat housing in the photo above (I'm assuming that is a 1/8" bung on the filler neck). Finally, it would have a neck to accept a standard radiator cap. It would attach at the base via a pair of horizontal tabs. That is the ideal. Now, if anyone happens to have anything close to that made of aluminum, it is quite likely we can modify it as needed. Volume should be at least a couple quarts and there is room for close to a gallon. For instance, if the fittings or the mounts aren't quite right, several of us are now good enough with the tig welder that we can change it and hopefully make it look acceptable, and for that matter there is no reason we could not use a round tank as long as it is big enough. I have a roughly triangular shaped one made of steel as a last resort but it really does not look right in that location, I made it to go down beside the radiator of an earlier car. We would consider any sort of a square or tubular aluminum container that is sturdy enough to hold about 30 psi and can shorten it if needed. An old scuba tank comes to mind. That would be rather thick of course and add weight, but would look better than the triangular one and have more volume.

Why do we need it? Fair question. Our radiator is oversized and works great. The problem is that the radiator is mounted below the heads which means that there is a very small volume of water in the system above the hot areas over the combustion chambers. Even the slightest inattention to coolant level can uncover those hot spots as there is at most maybe a half quart of coolant above them, and if they are exposed, almost immediately the coolant will boil and the heads may warp. This can happen sitting at idle. The job of the surge tank is to provide a safety margin above those hot spots. The reason a recovery bottle is inadequate for this job, is that it relies on the heat/cool cycle to refill the system and is not always reliable, whereas the surge tank is at system pressure and relies on gravity to do it's job. So as long as there is fluid in the surge tank the system is full. In fact, a recovery bottle can be used with a surge tank as a second back-up although it isn't absolutely needed. I think we can all agree that this is cheap insurance compared to the cost of a new set of TA-Performance, Street Eliminator heads.

I've progressed enough on my roadster to start on the lower control arms so I hope to have something to report there by week's end. The mounting plate for the choke and throttle cables is done, painted, and ready to install so I'll send that to Max once he has the car. And unless I've overlooked something these pieces will complete the mechanical part of the build, leaving just the wiring and interior to complete. Not to minimize those parts, I say "just" only because it is a relief to be that far along and that close to completion.

JB

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 21, 2011 09:16AM

Thanks to Gary Walker for his great TIG welding work on the thermostat housing. This part is indeed a "team" effort just like the rest of the project.
Rob, I'd passed your offer along to Steve, but thanks again for the donation.
So far no updates on the list other than these items mentioned. I should be getting a report from Steve pretty soon when he has a chance to inventory the parts he got from Jim and then we'll update.

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 21, 2011 01:56PM

Bill,
the stuff I picked up from Jim was already knocked off the list or rather never put on it. It was seats and the old capet, nothing that I see on the list.

Steve

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: June 27, 2011 02:08PM

Dan Masters sent Roadmaster a check for $1000 from the 2011 V8 meet.
Thanks Dan. That should be more than we need to finish up at Max's.
I will be goiong to Boone on thursday and will try to get to the Roadmaster in Blowing Rock to try on the new thermostat housing.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 29, 2011 03:58PM

Steve, this is just phenomenal news and I have to admit, I never even saw it coming. Thank you DAN!!

In further financial news, The two checks that got lost in the mail have not surfaced. One was a check drawn on Steve's personal account so we will recover that easily enough but the other is a different matter:

It was a check written as a donation of $150 and given to Steve at Townsend. So please, please. If you wrote Steve such a check look at your account and see if it cleared. It was stamped for deposit to our account so I do not suspect foul play but we'd like to ask you to help us on this.

I have a care package ready to send down to Steve, containing a few bits including the new front links for the lower control arms. This will cure the interference problem with the steering rack. I have installed the duplicate set on my car and they work just fine and will be plenty strong. It does add 9/10 of a pound per side and part of that is unsprung weight, probably about a third or roughly 5 ounces per side as extra unsprung weight but it was the best I could do and any of you are very welcome to improve on it. Photos below.

JB

MVC-870F.JPG

MVC-873F.JPG

MVC-874F.JPG

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: June 29, 2011 04:11PM

Nice work Jim, clears and offers some support as well as protection from road damage at the same time. Good design.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 04:13PM by Bill Young.

FLIPSMGV8
Phillip Quinn
Reidville, SC
(15 posts)

04/21/2010 10:01PM

Main British Car:
1978 MGB Rover 3.9 V8

Posted by: FLIPSMGV8
Date: June 30, 2011 09:57PM

Hi guys, if someone want to send a check to help fund the project, where does one send the check and to who do you make the check out to? I was the guy that was at Townsend and ask a lot of questions and took a lot of pic's of some great little cars and also picked up a T shirt. I live in Spartanburg, SC and I am getting some of my parts for my transplant of a Rover 3.9L and a T5 trans. so at some point I will be asking some dumb questions. The check will not be big but I guess some is better than none. I am funding my project out of my rat hole money and it's getting a little low.
Just let me know and I will see what I can do.

Regards
Phil Quinn/flipsmg

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: July 01, 2011 09:01AM

Phillip, anything at all will be highly appreciated, thanks for wanting to help. Steve DeGroat is our treasurer so you can send donations to him at:

Steve DeGroat
101 Lakewood Drive
Lugoff, SC 29078

You can make out the check to Project Roadmaster or just to Steve, which ever you want.

I remember you in Townsend, didn't get a chance to speak to you much, but welcome to our wild and wacky world of modified British cars. Don't worry about asking and dumb questions, we're all here to help you in any way we can.
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6061626364656667686970...LastNext
Current Page: 65 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.