10/23/2007 12:59PM

Main British Car:
1971 MGB Blown,Injected,Intercooled Buick 340/AA80E/JagIRS

authors avatar
Re: MGB Roadmaster
Posted by: BlownMGB-V8
Date: April 29, 2011 05:44PM

Steve wants to know, "What strip?"

We worked on the truck today. The head was finally finished and we figured that the GT probably wouldn't make it to the meet without it, plus it was on the trip to Sioux Falls that it was injured, so we decided to put off the MG-Roadmaster for a day. Made good progress on that though and should be able to fire it up tomorrow if all goes well this evening.

JB

CBV8
Thomas Caine
Lugoff South Carolina
(21 posts)

07/17/2008 07:35PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB-GT Rover 3.5

Posted by: CBV8
Date: April 29, 2011 07:32PM

Steve, That useless piece of aluminum that defies installation, front and rear glass seal

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

10/23/2007 09:43PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGBGT V6, 7004R, AC, matching trailer 3.1 liter

Posted by: Citron
Date: May 02, 2011 07:32AM

Tom,
I agree. We do not have that so will not install it. They are really more trouble than worth.

Steve

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 02, 2011 01:13PM

I ordered t-shirts today. Had too, time running out. I did order 15 XXL, so get them quickly. No one told me they wanted one, just hoping.
18 XL
15 L
12 M

Steve

Bill Young
Bill Young
Kansas City, MO
(1337 posts)

10/23/2007 09:23AM

Main British Car:
'73 MG Midget V6 , '59 MGA I6 2.8 GM, 4.0 Jeep

authors avatar
Posted by: Bill Young
Date: May 02, 2011 01:43PM

Steve, I thought I sent you an e-mail months ago wanting a couple of XXLs. Maybe I forgot though, I am getting old you know. Anyway, put a couple aside for me and you know you have some sold.

trevorwj
Trevor Jessie

(25 posts)

12/11/2008 09:05PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: trevorwj
Date: May 03, 2011 10:44AM

Regarding those stainless bowls. Are you welding those to the mild steel flanges. I'm asking because I may want to do something similar. If so, are you just going to use some 309 rod?

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
9406 Gunpowder Rd., Florence, KY 41042
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 03, 2011 11:29AM

I'll have to see what materials I have out there to work with. I'd like something about 1/8" thick for good threads but material choice is pretty open. Can be mild steel, stainless, or even brass though that would be heavy. Or it could be just tabs where the screws need to go. To be honest, I've been recovering from last week's work marathon and may not even look at it today, as I still have alternator issues on the truck to sort out. But the bowls will have to be cut down about an inch for tire clearance then have internal flanges or tabs welded in. I also considered pressing and gluing plastic flanges into place.

Looks like I'll be making a solo trip down to Townsend so anyone coming through Cincinnati on the way, it'd be nice to have traveling company. I don't expect to have any problems, but then I never do.

I've begun placing odds-n-ends in the car that need to be installed but which I will be unable to take care of before the meet, in the hopes that anyone will feel like working on it there.

Of the three of us that were here last weekend, Steve, Dan and myself, we put in some very long and strenuous days and by Saturday night were pretty ragged out. I personally did that for 5 days straight and I'm still not right, but another day or two of taking it easy should do the trick. It's probably pretty pointless to report on our progress, the car will be there for all to see in a little over a week. I passed out t-shirts to the participants. Depending on how the new ones sell and how many we have left over, we may make that an incentive of the MG-Roadmaster weekends in the future. If it gets guys here to work on the car it would be well worth it.

JB

Dan B
Dan Blackwood
South Charleston, WV
(1007 posts)

11/06/2007 01:55PM

Main British Car:
1966 TR4A, 1980 TR7 Multiport EFI MegaSquirt on the TR4A. Lexus V8 pl

authors avatar
Posted by: Dan B
Date: May 03, 2011 03:09PM

I'll have to say the Barbecue that Steve brought should be an incentive as well!!!

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 06, 2011 05:03PM

Here's how I decided to do the headlights. the black mounting rings are a near perfect fit in the truncated bowls. Epoxy behind the flange should do the trick.

JB

MVC-824F.JPG

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 09, 2011 02:18PM

Headlights:

MVC-827F.JPG

MVC-828F.JPG

MVC-829F.JPG

I did not attach the trim rings because I do not have the special removal tool, and even if I did I'm not sure it will work with these headlights. So we'd better leave them off until the wiring is completed and the headlights are adjusted.

JB

DiDueColpi
Fred Key
West coast - Canada
(1366 posts)

05/14/2010 03:06AM

Main British Car:
I really thought that I'd be an action figure by now!

authors avatar
Posted by: DiDueColpi
Date: May 09, 2011 03:59PM

Another job nicely done Jim!
You continue to impress.

Cheers
Fred

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 13, 2011 11:16AM

I picked up the shirts yesterday. I think they look good. Wore one to work today.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 13, 2011 12:28PM

Cool!
Loaded the car on the trailer last night. Still some packing to do today. I am bringing some small tasks that can be done if we want.

Rick, please come. I'm counting on you to make sure the hood struts are installed correctly.

JB

Citron
Stephen DeGroat
Lugoff, SC
(367 posts)

Main British Car:

Date: May 20, 2011 02:18PM

Report on Money: $500 in donations: Radiator sold for $150. AND we made a whopping $16.27 on the t-shirts.
I was pledged another $350 by various people but have not received it.

Steve

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 21, 2011 10:23AM

I think we can all be pleased with the response to the MG-Roadmaster at the meet. It drew a continuous crowd and instantly became a focal point. Credit is due obviously to Executive Touch for the fantastic paint job and the work they did on the body, including re-sculpting the flares, but equal credit is due to everyone else who helped make this happen and there has been an incredible level of contribution from an equally amazing group of people. I would love to go into it name by name and maybe a bit later on I will, but for the moment I think it better if I stick to reporting on the meet. But I do want to mention that we have something like 50 individual contributors, not including our anonymous donors, who are numerous.

But a word about our goals is in order. In looking at the big picture, it is clear to most of us that our biggest concern is to get this country back on it's feet. Equally clear is the fact that our young men and women are the key to our future. By helping them we help ourselves. We may be a small segment of society at large but we are a highly visible one, very widespread, an extremely positive one, and clearly a very capable one. What we must do, more than anything else in life, is transfer those qualities to the youth and teach them how to succeed in the world they are facing. That is a pretty tall order given the challenges we face ourselves, but it is the attitude which is all important. We need to convince them that they have opportunities, that they can seize them, bend them to their will, and build a better world for them and their families, never forgetting that family, above all, is the bedrock upon which a successful society is built.

So what does this have to do with sports cars you might ask? It is simple. Present a teenager with an enticing enough hook, grab their attention, motivate them, and then set them to a task which they feel empowered to succeed and excel in, and you have just created a powerful force. Multiply that by large enough numbers and you have created an invincible army. Make it widespread and you have created an unstoppable society, and this is the American heritage. We are a small group and our numbers are few but we can still make a difference and we must do what we can to put America back on her feet. The effort itself is contagious. So where does the car fit in? The car is that hook. It is the focal point that grabs the attention of young and old alike. It is the enticement that gives us the opportunity to teach and show the young that there is more to life than play-station and fantasy worlds. It is a real concrete fantasy which has been brought to life, but which is within the reach of each and every one of them if they will only ask how to do it. It is the irresistible bait.

But in order for that bait to be effective it must be used properly and followed up effectively. We can't just lock it in a garage and expect it to have the desired effect. No, it must go out on display. It must be brought into concentrated audiences. All of you are creative and thoughtful people and it is up to each of you to find the best way to do this. Take it to a car show, show up at a fish fry, make arrangements to appear at the local High School and pass out flyers, be a center of attention at the tailgate party. Use your imagination. Be the stone that ripples the water of the pond. Be the individual of great personal wealth (in terms of wisdom and life experience) who holds up a shining beacon of hope for the young. As you help one you help many, for who among us finds great excitement then fails to pass it along?

The crucial message is this: You can build this car! You can start from nothing and achieve great success! You can create beauty out of the ordinary! You can make your life better. And even if you try and fail, we will accept you, applaud your attempt, and help you along. What better message could we possibly offer our young?

The car itself is a wonder. It has far exceeded the expectations of any of us who were here in the beginning. In that regard it is a metaphor for what we can do with the society in which we live, and in fact what we should do, and must do. I want to publicly thank each and every one of you for making this journey possible and for making it so rich in its perception. As we go forward in taking this experience to the public at large, let us always remember that spirit of cooperation and generosity which is the pinnacle of human achievement, that we can teach others how to walk that path on their way to enlightenment and personal fulfillment. We have created a true work of Art, and it now becomes our task to allow that art work to play its part in lifting the downtrodden and and giving hope to the needy. This we can do. This we MUST do. And most importantly, THIS, it is our PRIVILEGE to do.

Your President and Servant,
JB
B.A.D.A.S.S. Boss

PS: We're not out of the woods yet on our build costs or what we'll need to put the car on tour. So if you feel inclined to contribute now would be a good time. You can contact our Treasurer Steve DeGroat [forum.britishv8.org] or me. Thank-you very much for your support.

JB

castlesid
Kevin Jackson
Sidcup UK
(361 posts)

11/18/2007 10:38AM

Main British Car:
1975 MGB GT Rover V8 4.35L

Posted by: castlesid
Date: May 24, 2011 06:38AM

Jim,

What a superb job you and the guys have done in creating that incredible MG.

A heartfelt congratulations to all of you.

Regards,

Kevin Jackson

BlownMGB-V8
Jim Blackwood
(6470 posts)

Main British Car:

authors avatar
Date: May 26, 2011 08:27AM

Thanks Kevin. Hopefully we can do something constructive with it. At the very least though we are going to have one H*ll of a time playing with it!

Now on to a certain financial matter. Fuel expenses for the trip to Townsend towing the trailer carrying the MG-Roadmaster, on to Blowing Rock to deliver it to Jack Austin, and back home ended up being a little over $300.00. Once again the truck was injured in the process but the good news is that I've been able to get it back to where it was before starting the trip at a cost of $250 in parts. Realistically, had I driven Edith's TR7 to Townsend and back the trip would have cost me about $100.

Travel expenses was the last issue I was going to bring up in the annual meeting but we were cut short by the incoming pizza so it never happened. As a result Carl and Steve formed an Ad Hoc Executive committee to address the issue and authorized up to $300 in gasoline reimbursements over what I would have spent were I not bringing the GT. This would make that amount roughly $200. I present this for your approval or rejection. I think it reasonable but at the same time I recognize that it is going to bite into the proceeds that we have for purchase of components that Max and Flying Circus will use to complete the interior of the car in August. So having said that, I will take no action for one week to allow comments. Let me know how you think we should proceed. Incidentally, we DO NOT have sufficient funds to complete the build, even with Flying Circus' retailer discount and even with the $200. We need to raise some more donations. I would have simply let the matter of the gas expense slide, but I'm presently running on a really tight budget and the repairs have been an expense I hadn't anticipated. They have indicated the need for more as soon as I can afford it. I'm just hoping the rest of you are in more forgiving circumstances.

JB

ex-tyke
Graham Creswick
Chatham, Ontario, Canada
(1165 posts)

10/25/2007 11:17AM

Main British Car:
1976 MGB Ford 302

authors avatar
Posted by: ex-tyke
Date: May 26, 2011 09:44AM

This is a legitimate project expense - given all that you have done for this project, I can't imagine that anyone has an objection for reinbursement.

kstevusa
kelly stevenson
Southern Middle Tennessee
(985 posts)

10/25/2007 09:37AM

Main British Car:
2003 Jaguar XK8 Coupe 4.2L DOHC/ VVT / 6sp. AT

authors avatar
Posted by: kstevusa
Date: May 26, 2011 12:05PM

What Graham said!
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 134

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.