The BritishV8 Pub

general notices, announcements, invitations, & social stuff (like meets & car shows)

Go to Thread: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicLog In
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 31

Curtis Jacobson
Portland Oregon
(4575 posts)

10/12/2007 02:16AM

Main British Car:
71 MGBGT, Buick 215

authors avatar
Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: Moderator
Date: December 31, 2008 06:40PM

It's come to my attention that we currently have 176 registered members that haven't written their first message yet. A lot of message boards have a special section for people to introduce themselves. So, it occurred to me today that maybe it'd be nice to have a "sticky" thread for people to check in and just say "Hi". That way you don't have to start a new thread!

Don't be shy. Just tell us a thing or two about yourself (or your car/project)... or tell us how you found BritishV8... or break the ice and say "hey!"

Cheers,
Curtis

CBV8
Thomas Caine
Lugoff South Carolina
(21 posts)

07/17/2008 07:35PM

Main British Car:
1970 MGB-GT Rover 3.5

Re: Introduce Yourself Here!
Posted by: CBV8
Date: December 31, 2008 08:20PM

Hello My name is Tom. I bought my first British car a 1960 MGA 1600 in 1962. I spent a few years in W Africa and bougth a 1967 MGB thru KLM airlines (duty free) in Holland drove thru Europe before sending the car back to the States. I met a guy at a British car meet around 1986-7 who had converted a MGB using the Buick engine and kinda got the "Bug". I bought a 67 BGT for 400.00 and engine (61 215 Buick) from a junk yard for another 200.00 then added a Rover 5 sp from a junk yard in Toleda Oh. and managed to get the car on the road about 9 yrs later. Loved the car had a lot of fun and SOLD it for a fraction of what it cost to build. Then I decided to relive my childhood and buy a 1959 MGA. I spent 10 years restoring the car drove it for about 5-6 hundred miles and decided to sell and buy a BGTV8 already finished for a fraction of what it would cost to restore myself. The car has the Buick engine (62 215) with a 350 chevy turbo tranny. Mustang rear B&M shifter and fun to drive.
I have been reluctant to add my 2 cents because of the savy posts (tech stuff that I couldn't add to) I enjoy reading the progress of the BADASS project and since I'm retired if you need a roadrunner I can make myself available to pitch in when you need me. I live around the corner from Steve DeGroat and belong the the Midlands British Car club here in SC. I consider myself a "wrench turner". The 67 I built myself using a machine shop to do the block and heads and had the driveshaft shorten and balanced but the rest I bungled thru using whatever would fit. As I recall I used Toyota fourunner shocks on the read and the Spax conversion on the front.
On a personal note I am 70 yrs old and have 8 children and 13 grandchildren and an going to be a great grandad this april so I guess you could say "whats that old fart thinking". Well I still love to go fast and have fun! T

healey100jedi
Dan Wolters
Tucson
(22 posts)

07/20/2008 10:56PM

Main British Car:
1956 100GT Supra 7MGTE

1956 Austin Healey 100-GT
Posted by: healey100jedi
Date: December 31, 2008 08:48PM

Hey. I'm Dan. I built* an Austin Healey 100 Coupe. I think it's the only one around. Can you identify the top? I built the frame from 1/8 inch wall 2 x 4 steel. Thought the 7MGTE (Mk III Supra turbo) with R154 tranny would complement the coilovers, double wishbone front suspension, rack & pinion steering, power discs, ABS, Ford 9 inch, triangulated four bar rear suspension, and detachable steering wheel. I had to make an english wheel to fab a couple of the rear panels. I used the ABS on a drive earlier this Fall. Still have to validate that the cooling is sufficient. Drove to the Mitchell SD Outkasts show in September from the Twin Cities. Gonna drive it next summer then tear it apart next Winter to cleanup the body. Later. 232hp, 2400lbs.

* means a tech built from old junk laying around and passed** qualification but is not ready for full production
** with additional performance and testing requirements imposed by customer
Beast at SD Outkasts.jpg

real_old_guy
Clay Thompson

(9 posts)

05/08/2008 10:09PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: real_old_guy
Date: December 31, 2008 10:49PM

Hi, U'se guys!

I go by Real Old Guy here 'cause that's what I am, a really old guy! I usually post on the TriumphTR7 Forum and go by jclay there.

I have one very good TR7 and a couple that I am going to put back into good shape. I just made a deal with a guy the other day, I fix his TR8 and he pays me with a 3.5 RV8 and a 5 speed trans. So, I am intending to put this combination in one of my other TR7s. I will be looking around here for ideas and help!

I have three sites up that have TR7 information:
My Main site; [web.mac.com]
My Technical Stuff website; [web.mac.com]
and my download site for different articles and wiring diagrams;
[homepage.mac.com]

I hope you find them interesting!

Happy New Year!

ROG (aka: jclay)
Green+7+with+Panasports---1.gif

slabside
Ozgur TAN

(1 posts)

11/12/2008 01:34AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: slabside
Date: January 01, 2009 03:03AM

Hi
My name is Ozgur and I'm from istanbul, TR
I'm building AC/Shelby Cobra 289 from scratch that I've just finished body buck and working on windscreen and fastback hardtop
Regards
Ozgur

roblanford
Robert Lanford

(1 posts)

06/24/2008 06:05PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: roblanford
Date: January 01, 2009 03:11AM

Hi y'all,
I from southern California and have been a MGB nut for many years. I never had a real nice car but was always able to find them needing a little work, and I would get them going and drive the heck outta them. I have found 2 jensen healeys that have some potential for a V8 conversion but I still have it in the back of my mind that I would rather have an mgb v8 instead. I lurk here and have tried to catch up on everything on this site. You folks have some REALLY nice cars here. Thanks for a great site.

Robert

v8hotwire
jim mcglynn

(2 posts)

11/08/2008 11:18AM

Main British Car:

Posted by: v8hotwire
Date: January 01, 2009 04:29AM

Hi folks, Happy New Year!

My name is Jim, from the UK.

Had my car for 7 years now. Done various projects on it. All details here.

[www.jimmcglynn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk]

Speak to you soon.

Regards,
Jim

Anonymous User

( posts)

12/31/1969 07:00PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Anonymous User
Date: January 01, 2009 05:33AM

Hello to everyone.

I live in Australia. I own a 1974 Chrome Bumper MGBGTV8 and a 1958 MGA.

I visit this site to see what things are being done to improve the cars. My V8 has had a few modifications I'll be glad to discuss if anyone is interested. It has a Costello 5 speed gearbox. Hoyle front spring conversion. Doug Jackson rear suspension kit. 4.3 stroker kit.

I've been looking at a hot wire injection conversion but still saving the pennies.

Happy new year!

Regards
Don

(Moderator: Don's UserID is being changed to "DonGTV8")

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 07:50PM by Moderator.

parsprite
Perry Reed
Leominster, Ma.
(1 posts)

03/29/2008 07:14AM

Main British Car:
1973 MGB Roadster

Posted by: parsprite
Date: January 01, 2009 07:58AM

Hi Everone

Happy New Year!

Like many of you, I have been playing with cars, of all types, since I was a kid.
I live in Massachusetts (USA), so now is the time that start putting a lot of time in on my automotive endeavors.

Currently, I have two '73 MGBs.
a) A roadster that is great shape but needs new paint. (Someone had a Maco job done on it!)
The roadster is currently stripped to the bare steel and I'll be sending it to the body shop in two weeks.

b) A GT that has a long, long way to go.
This is car that I would like have some fun modifying and the whole reason I joined this website.

From what I've seen so far, this website/magazine is going to be real asset.

Cheers
Perry

stevestag

(2 posts)

12/30/2008 07:19PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: stevestag
Date: January 01, 2009 08:47AM

100_4434.jpg

hi im steve i live in england i have a bog standard triumph stag with original tv8,my car is in avarage condition for it's age but will soon require some bodywork(front wheel arches and panel behind drivers door) plus a respray.As i use the stag as my second car these jobs will get done as and when i can afford it.
cheers steve.

NotAMechanic
Benjamin Morford

(1 posts)

10/24/2007 01:33PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: NotAMechanic
Date: January 01, 2009 10:34AM

Hi,
I retired from the Coast Guard in September of 2006 and live in Leoma, Tennessee. I have been looking for an MGB that I can afford that is mechanicaly sound. Very limited pocket book equals not mechanicly sound.

I owned a 1974 Triumph spitfire that had a Pinto engine in it. It was an extremely fun car to drive but I blew a head and was unable to fix due to a Divorce. Needless to say I have wanted to replace it for awhile.

Any suggestions?

I love this website....

Kustomm
Jacob Porcenaluk

(1 posts)

02/14/2008 05:53PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: Kustomm
Date: January 01, 2009 10:54AM

Hi, and Happy New Year ! I'm Jack and I'm building a 1961 MGA roadster in a vintage race style for the street. powered by a 1988 Ford 2.3 intercooled turbo 5 speed. as you see I am just getting started.
Photobucket
Photobucket

BrianB
Brian Browning

(3 posts)

07/10/2008 09:54AM

Main British Car:
70 tube frame GT 5.0 ltr Rover

Posted by: BrianB
Date: January 01, 2009 11:05AM

Hi,
I was introduced to the MGB V8 way back in 1986 when I offered to help a fellow Auto Crosser with his car, a 1968 MGB GT with a 215 Buick/Olds combo. Over the years and even though it retains most of it's stock chassis this car has developed into quite the fast little racecar. Allen, now one of my best friends, has set many FTD's or wins of our class against superior cars at the many events, that we drag the car to. It is crude and rude but we like it that way.

This Link will give you an Idea [good-times.webshots.com]
And a You tube clip of one of my runs up Knox Mountain- [www.youtube.com]

What Do you do when you already have a fast car, You build one that should be faster. I have always wanted to build a tube frame for the 68 but knew the time would not allow racing for several years. So two years ago we started with one of Allen's spare roadsters to build a second car. The chassis in now nearing completion, and there is a 4.6 Rover being build for us, which is also getting close to running on the dyno. Might turn a wheel under power this summer.
Some specs-
Bare chassis-- 520 lbs
Ted Lathrop front suspension--160 lbs
Ted Lathrop 9 inch ford rear end with Gold Track diff and 3 link suspension- 180 lbs
Rover 4.6 with Wildcat heads and injection--450 lbs est.
Tremec TKO close ratio transmission--105 lbs
Wilwood brakes on all four corners
Fenders and front valance from Spridgetech -50 lbs -- Ain't the Internet and a Visa card great
Goal is to end up some where around 1700 lbs dry weight with the engine producing 450 hp at 7500 RPM.
Might be a beast! You can follow the build here
[good-times.webshots.com]
Well ta ta for now as I am off to the shop to play
Brian Browning
Canoe B.C.

MGBV8
Carl Floyd
Kingsport, TN
(4511 posts)

10/23/2007 11:32PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB Buick 215

authors avatar
Posted by: MGBV8
Date: January 01, 2009 11:48AM

NotAMechanic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> I retired from the Coast Guard in September of
> 2006 and live in Leoma, Tennessee. I have been
> looking for an MGB that I can afford that is
> mechanicaly sound. Very limited pocket book
> equals not mechanicly sound.

Leoma is a long way from East TN, but you are real close to Kelly Stevenson.

[www.britishv8.org]

dstryr
Frank Smolik

(1 posts)

05/24/2008 08:39PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: dstryr
Date: January 01, 2009 12:06PM

Hi, Frank here.

I am a fan of all sports cars and muscle cars and like to check in here once in a while to see what's new.

Happy New Year to all!

EMacK08
Eric MacKinnon
Palmyra,VA
(1 posts)

05/24/2008 11:51AM

Main British Car:
1975 1/2 Stock

Re: Introduce Myself Here!
Posted by: EMacK08
Date: January 01, 2009 03:01PM

OK, I have a 1975 1/2 MGB that my son left for a motorcycle. I guess going topless wasn't enough. I inherited his "baby". I'm sure that you have said this, "When I get the garage cleaned out..." That is me right now. When I get the garage cleaned out my plan is to do a "resto-mod". I would like to put a small V8 in it as well as upgrade the suspension, etc. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom that y'all may have.

I have a hoist, compressor w/air tools, jack stands, hand tools, and probably a lot more imagination and desire than skill. That may be a recipe for disaster but I'm willing to try anything.

That is it for now. To be continued...

perrymgbv8
Perry Stephenson

(188 posts)

12/06/2007 02:50PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: perrymgbv8
Date: January 01, 2009 03:41PM

Hi
Another Perry here.
I have a 1975 MGB GT V8 factory car which I have modified. I now use the car mainly for track days.

Great forum by the way.

Regards
Perry
IMGP4512.jpg

vaknight
Kevin Knight
Virginia Beach, Va
(10 posts)

06/27/2008 12:06PM

Main British Car:
1955 Healey 100-4 GM 350

authors avatar
Posted by: vaknight
Date: January 01, 2009 08:59PM

Hello,
Kevin I've had a 55 BN1 w/ a V8 conversion that I bought in 1991. I drove the car in San Diego when I lived there and blew the head gasket, The car has sat for the last 7 years in my garage now in Virginia taking a beating from kids bikes and foul balls so I'm finally getting around to putting it back on the road. The engine really needed a lot of work so I opted for a Custom Crate engine built by Jon Barret Hot Rod Engines in OK City. I had body work and paint done locally. Right now it has the SM Block 350 with a 350 Turbo tranny set up with the original rear end. I'm looking for suggestions on a conversion for the rear end. I would like to have conventional rear shocks and disc brakes with the mod. Thanks
Web Post 4 rear qtr pre paint.JPG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2009 08:44AM by vaknight.

packy
Mike Devlin
Pennsylvania USA
(3 posts)

04/04/2008 10:28PM

Main British Car:
1979 MGB

Posted by: packy
Date: January 01, 2009 09:07PM

Hello from Pennsylvania,
I have a 79 MGB roadster that I'd Like to put a 302 in. We are currently rebuilding a F.I.302 motor and the car is in pieces across the garage floor. I love the look of the sebring flares with the exposed shroud up front. My son keeps showing me the videos on u-tube of all the v8 MGB's. I'm seriously considering the FastCars front end, I have to make a call to find out how much it's going to cost me. I've been in touch with morSpeed Performance Products about the flares but I can't seem to get an order placed. Does anybody know who else in the states that manufactures these flares? I love the articles, keep up the good work. Thanks, Mike
PS. How do you get grease off a computer keyboard?

willhaven
Phil Cole
Raleigh, NC
(1 posts)

12/07/2008 01:43PM

Main British Car:

Posted by: willhaven
Date: January 01, 2009 09:31PM

Hi all. The name is Phil. I live just outside of Raleigh, NC, though I am originally from Fresno, CA.

I found this place due to the late Ken Biermann's 1969 MGB that was on eBay recently. Beautiful car, incredible noise it makes. :]

I've always loved old cars. My taste mostly lies in American muscle cars from the late 60s through the early 70s (mostly Mopars), but I also have a lot of love for British sports cars, both old and new. MG, Triumph, Aston and TVR being my favorites.

I'm currently waiting on my first collectible car to be completed. A customized 1971 Plymouth Cuda, but who knows what might be next? haha

I'm excited that the meet up will be in Durham this year. I may very well attend and would likely have the Cuda to bring along and make noise with as well. :]
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 31

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.